Sunday, June 28, 2009

My First (and hopefully last) ER Visit!

Does this look like the face of an injured child? Well, by this point, Addison was feeling much better. Long story short, we thought she dislocated her right shoulder (this was May 15) while walking into a restaurant with Daddy. She did the "I-don't-wanna-hold-your-hand-so-I'm-gonna-drop-to-the-floor" move, but Daddy didn't let go. Oops.
The crying started, the arm wasn't being used. Uh oh. So to the ER we go, only to wait FOREVER and EVER for this wild child to RESET IT HERSELF!!! What? We had x-rays and all (have you experienced that? x-raying an upset, wiggly toddler? wow...), and while waiting on the SECOND set of x-rays because the tech was the Barney Fife of x-ray techs and didn't get a good shot, and playing on the super-comfy (ha) hospital bed, Addison suddenly was giggling and laughing, while seconds before, had been wincing in pain. While playing, she somehow manipulated her arm in such a way that it reset the ligament.

Turns out, it was what's called Nursemaid's Elbow. Basically, the ligament that wraps around her elbow popped out of place. I would be crying from that, too. Yuck. Fortunately, it is no big deal, and no permanent damage done! By the time we left, she had full range of motion back and was happy and playful again (at, oh, 10 pm... bedtime was ohso late that night...) And I now know how to pop it back into place, if anyone is interested!
Seriously, Mom, why are you taking pictures of me in this condition? And why are you smiling?

Um, because I was trying to do anything to keep this girl entertained! Thank goodness for iPhones (Blowfish and Smack It! are two faves, BTW, not to mention Lisa Loeb's Jenny Jenkins!!!)

All I know is, I hope and pray that we never have to go back to an emergency room, especially for something serious. I absolutely hated seeing our baby in so much pain, and there wasn't a thing in the world either of us could do to help her!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh man - we went through this with Claire about the same age as Addison - Daddy did the same thing and we had no idea! Like you, we are now pros at popping it back in place and we have done it again on both kids!!!! Scary stuff!! At least she looked like a doll at the ER =)!

CAMoore said...

So glad that everything is ok and it was a quick fix (well, no surgery or something like that). Bless her heart - and y'alls too!

Anonymous said...

Bless her heart! And yes, I have had to be the parent that has to hold the child down for x-rays many times! Not fun. Katherine wore a hip brace until she was 12 months & we had appts. @ Children's every 2 months!! YUCK! But her hip is all better. We actually go back in July for her check-up!