Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Baby's First Hissy Fit

We went to Big Cedar a couple of weekends ago for a short little vacay since we nixed the idea of travelling to Florida with a five month old earlier in the summer. I absolutely love BC and think it is one of the prettiest places (semi-locally) that you can go. We got to stay in the George (the first) Bush cabin, and it was really cozy! For about five minutes. Pre-meltdown, with Daddy's friend Brad

Addison truly had what we will from now on affectionately refer to as "Baby's First Hissy Fit!" Everything started off so nicely, but once we got on the tram at Dogwood Canyon for our rustic nature ride through the beautiful forest, it went rapidly downhill. Addison had some sort of bug or virus, which resulted in many many many many diaper changes, lots of screaming and just plain unhappiness on our...er, I mean her part. She was honestly tired and due for a nap when we began the ride, but about an hour into the THREE HOUR ride, Addison decided she needed to try out her lungs in all of God's Majesty. After what felt like an hour of hysteria, which we later found out was realistically only about five minutes, but seriously, what sane person wants to be in the middle of the woods, on a tram, with a screaming baby??? Anyway, I stormed off the tram, Addison in tow, pacis and Cheerios flying everywhere, JE chasing after me with an overflowing diaper bag...
One of about 3 pictures I got on the ride...

They sent the catering van back to get us so the wild animals wouldn't eat us up, since it was getting dark.

Anyway, poor Addison felt just awful (I know personally because I later got a touch of what she had, yaay) so the rest of the evening was not so much fun.

The next day, we attempted to do a little shopping, and she was cooperative for the most part, but not without a few fits sprinkled here and there, just for good measure. PaPa and Lynnlee happened to be in town looking at a condo, so they met us for lunch.Checking out the ginormous fish tank! And yes, that's a real word!

Then it started again.

So we gave up a day and a half early, threw in the towel and packed up the car. As soon as we pulled into the driveway, Addison had the brightest smile I've ever seen.
But you know what? We can laugh about it now. Because we're not stuck on the tram.

3 comments:

Sarah Beth said...

That is the funniest story! Poor little girl, she just likes her home.

RachelM said...

I can just picture you running with cheerios flying!! Very funny!
I can totally relate to feeling like a hissy fit that lasts 5 minutes is actually an hour. It always seems that it bothers the mama more than anyone!

Christy said...

I hate to say but your misery was pure entertainment for me! A trip you will never forget.